Feeling stuck or frustrated with life often precedes the decision to make a personal transformation. Making a meaningful change is both exciting and distressing. Our brains are wired to make change uncomfortable and more challenging than it needs to be. Focusing on the most important aspects of personal change can make the process smoother and easier. The odds of success are greatly enhanced, too.
Include these essentials in your personal transformation process:
- Making a true decision might be the most powerful thing you can do. A true decision cuts off all other possibilities. Most of us fail to truly decide. We make weak decisions and fail to stick with them. The constant vacillation between multiple options is worse than making no decision at all.
- Narrow down your options to just a couple of choices and then pick one. After the careful consideration you’ve done in the narrowing process, one choice is probably as good as another when you only have a couple of options left. Picking a sub optimal
choice is also better than failing to make a choice.
- Create a deadline. Have you ever noticed how projects expand to fill the allotted time? If your boss gave you two weeks to complete a project, you’d probably be scrambling at the last minute to get it done.
- Choose a deadline that’s reasonable, not too stressful for you, but still aggressive. You can get more accomplished than you realize.
- The lack of a timetable ensures the transformation process will take much longer than necessary.
- Have an exciting vision. Ensure that you have a clear picture of how your personal transformation will positively impact your life. If that vision doesn’t fill you with excitement, you’re going to need a new vision for your future. Making a big change is challenging. Without a compelling expected future, it will be hard to persevere.
- Address your limiting beliefs. Limiting beliefs don’t directly limit your ability to transform. However, they can severely limit your ability to take action. If don’t believe you can succeed, you’ll never complete the hard work required to see a transformation.
- Make a list of all the beliefs you have about yourself and the world that could be limiting your progress. Address each of them one by one. Make a list of counterexamples to that belief. What is the disadvantage of continuing to accept that belief? What new belief could you install in its place?
- It’s challenging to find and eliminate all the limiting beliefs you hold, but doing so guarantees your ultimate success.
- Consider any experiences in your past that fill you with a sense of failure. These memories can often hold clues to your limiting beliefs.
- Measure your progress. Any significant transformation will take time. Weight is lost a little at a time. Skills are gained over time. Develop a way to track your progress and review it regularly. Seeing progress is motivating. It also lets you know where you stand. Enjoy your results and permit it to increase your enthusiasm.
Making a successful personal transformation is one of the quickest ways to positively change your life.
Create a compelling future and be determined that you’ll reach it by your deadline. Work on your limiting beliefs. They are the greatest impediment to your ability to change. Finally, measure your progress along your journey. The feedback and motivation it provides are invaluable.