Have you gotten beat up, dumped, fired, got laughed at, wrecked your car, failed a test, lost your dog, gotten sued, computer crashed, gotten picked on, spouse cheat, bla, bla bla?
My question to you is “So What?”
I’m not saying “So What?” as to imply that I don’t care or to take away from the significance your situation, I’m saying so…what now?
Okay what happened, happened and it had the effect that it had on you. So what now?
Are you going to re-live the same situation for the rest of your life or are you going to recognize what happened and move on?
Are you going to use that situation as your ‘fail-safe’ excuse when you mess up or don’t live up to your best?
Are you going to going choose to life in fear, hurt or anger for the rest of your life and allow what happened to be your GOD and control your life?
You may be saying, “Well Antonio, you don’t understand – my parents did this to me…” or “my ex-wife did this or that…”
If living a life of no problems and challenges is the measure for greatness, then we’re all screwed.
Everyone has had something happen to them, everyone had a hard time, everyone faced challenges. Some seemingly harder than others but… challenges none the less.
I ask you again –
So what – now?
I’ve got permission to share a story about an ex-girlfriend and good friend of mine.
- From the age of 6 to 13 she was repeatedly molested by her father and 2 brothers
- Her mom almost beat her to death when she got up the courage to tell her mom what was happening.
- She was put out and had to make it on her own at 16.
- Had no education
- Had her first son, at 17, who has a mental disorder,
- Had her second son by another guy who physically abused her and left her and her two sons to fend for themselves.
- Announced that she was a lesbian, and everyone who claimed to be her friend, turned their back on her.
I could go on and on with this story because believe it or not, it actually gets worse.
So, why am I sharing this with you?
Is YOUR story this “bad”?
Even if it is… so what?
She’s now a business owner doing very well for herself. No, she’s not making a million dollars a year traveling around the world…bla, bla, bla. No this is a real person, making a real living, despite all the things that happened to her.
So what’s YOUR excuse…?
Your dad beat you when you were a kid?
You got raped?
You have an incurable disease?
You live in a dump?
So – What now?
Look out for part 2 where I talk about how to ‘get over’ these life-long crutches that hold us back from our greatness.